12 Buzzwords You'll Need to Know in 2013
Published December 31, 2012
What buzzwords will have workers buzzing in 2013? Only time will tell, but to help, BusinessNewsDaily interviewed small business owners, PR people, entrepreneurs and others to give workers a heads up on which buzzwords they may see in the coming year. The list includes:
- Advertainment— "Advertising is no longer about interrupting what people are interested in, it's about being what people are interested in."
- Phablets— A mixture of a smartphone and tablet.
- Growth hacker— "A role that replaces traditional marketing roles in fast-growing businesses."
- Social learning— "An individual's learning a skill through observation, without necessarily changing their behaviors or on-the-job performance.
- Alphanista— "Successful women in powerful positions having it all."
- Acqui-hire— "A blend of acquired and hired."
- Return on involvement— A brand that "gets involved with their community will garner better return on their investment by getting involved hosting fundraisers, partnering with schools and giving the local residents a gathering spot."
- Inventreprenuers— "An entrepreneur-inventor hybrid that markets and/or manufactures their own creation."
- Twinternship— "An internship where the student’s mission is to promote the company and its brands using social media such as Twitter and Facebook."
- Wantrepreneur— Someone who hasn’t "taken all the steps necessary to take the leap" into entrepreneurship.
- Minergy— Someone who uses "minimal energy to get the task accomplished."
- Tri-ti-tasking— "Doing three things at once."
Buzzword definitions from Barry Krause of Suite Partners; Frank Philips of InfoVision; Robert Moore of RJMetrics; Liz Jayanti of Shrewd HR; Elle Kaplan of Lexion Capital Management; Charley Polachi of Polachi Access Executive Search; Linda Duke of Duke Marketing; Samuella Becker of TigressPR; Eileen Schlesie of SleeveShirt Consulting; and Joel Gross of Coalition Technologies.
Follow David Mielach on Twitter @D_M89 or BusinessNewsDaily @bndarticles. We're also on Facebook & Google+.